What is Shirodhara Massage
Shirodhara massage is an ancient Ayurvedic therapy from India, meaning “to flow over the head.”
Shirodhara may be an ancient therapy, but this luxuriant treatment is increasingly being sought out by modern spa goers and health enthusiasts around the world, for its instant, naturally calming, and rejuvenating effects.
Ayurveda considers the center of the forehead–or third eye–the seat of human consciousness, spirituality and healing. During a Shirodhara Massage treatment a state of pure silence and calmness is achieved, creating optimal flow of energy throughout the body, and a heightened internal awareness in the mind.
How is Shirodhara Massage done?
Shirodhara Massage consists of pouring a gentle stream of warm base oil (eg: sesame) or perhaps herbal oil flowing on the forehead, rhythmically moving over the third eye by a skilled Shirodhara massage therapist. The therapeutic oils flow over the scalp and through the hair transporting you into a blissful state of relaxation, triggering a self-healing response.
You will find yourself floating in a sea of tranquility, where mind, body and spirit are purified; while anxieties, fears, worries, exhaustion, sadness or anger wash away. Your skin regains a natural glow and youthfulness, with softened stress and worry lines. Sleep becomes deep and restful. Hair recovers its luster and strength. And hormones become balanced by the stimulation of the endocrine system, the pituitary and pineal glands. Ayurvedic Herbs that may be infused with the oils also add additional healing properties.
You will emerge feeling blissful, with a heightened state of awareness and newfound peace and happiness.
Health benefits of Shirodhara Massage…
- Brings balance and harmony to body, mind and spirit.
- Generates a profound state of relaxation in body and mind, relieving stress.
- Opens up the flow of energy in the body.
- Stabilizes the nervous system.
- Eliminates imbalances of the head affecting neck, eyes, ears, nose.
- Treats insomnia.
- Boosts the body’s healing mechanisms.
- Purifies the body and rejuvenates the spirit.
- Nourishes hair and scalp, and strengthens hair follicles to reduce hair loss and premature graying.
- Replenishes skin oils, regaining natural luster and youthfulness.
- Softens lines and wrinkles on the face by clearing the mind, dissolving stress and relaxing face muscles.
- Activates the pituitary and pineal glands, as well as the hypothalamus, which regulate all hormones in the body to bring you back into balance.
- Promotes fertility by stimulating the pituitary gland, where sexual and reproductive hormones are activated.
- Helps produce endorphins- the neurotransmitters of the body, producing a feeling of well-being.
- Enhances concentration, mental clarity and comprehension.
- Heightens the senses.
- Stimulates cognitive function and increases intuition.
- Enhances a positive approach in life.
- Assists in opening the Third Eye – which increases spiritual awareness.
Where can I get a Shirodhara massage?
Just search for an Ayurvedic Practitioner or massage professional in your local area who lists Shirodhara Massage as one of their services. Shirodhara Massage is becoming more and more popular because of the blissful feeling it offers, in addition to the health benefits.